Friday, February 03, 2012

The Return

Well...almost a year away. Over that time, I've enjoyed some opportunities. Some of which I continue, others that I have chosen to no longer pursue. I even tried my hand at re-branding...of sorts. But this was the first "home" and it beckoned me on almost a daily basis. I have a slew of items to cover. Let's not put them off any longer...

NHL

Be serious now. Prior to last evening, has anyone heard of Sam Gagner? If you hadn't, I'm sure you have by now. Anytime someone ties a record with Wayne Gretzky, you're accomplished something very special...


The Edmonton Oilers scored eight goals...and Gagner had a point for each goal. Kinda spectacular huh? For the record, another former Oiler scored eight points in a game, Paul Coffey.

MLB

Just finished watching the news conference in regards to Josh Hamilton and his relapse. If anyone is truly upset at this, think about it some more, please.

I have heard and read where people were blaming the bartender for serving Hamilton. It's one thing to be what's known as an enabler. The bartender wasn't. Has anyone considered if the bartender even knew who Hamilton was? Sure there could have been patrons that were aware of who he was serving, but to come down hard on this individual is a little harsh.

Also, Hamilton holding a press conference even though he didn't take questions was brilliant. I loved that. In this day anf age, athletes, celebrities, etc., believe that issuing a statement through personal websites and/or Twitter accounts, Facebook pages, all other forms of social media is beyond refreshing.

PGA

I present the long hitting Gary Woodland...



Missed it by that much...

NFL

Isn't this week supposed to be about the Super Bowl? If you ask me, it's been more about Peyton Manning, Jim Irsay and the Indianapolis Colts. This game of "oh, yeah, well..." is edging toward the sophomoric side. Remember when we heard this kind of crap was going to stay in-house? So much for that idea.

So, Manning's surgeon, Dr. Robert Watkins to you, issues a statement that alerts us that one of Indy's prized possessions is "medically cleared to play professional football". Colts owner Jim Irsay, as he tends to do, took to Twitter. His version? Manning hasn't been cleared by the Colts medical staff.

Irsay was preparing a statement to be released today. Honestly, I'm tired of all this stuff. If he doesn't want to pay Manning that huge roster bonus, don't. If you want Peyton in Indy, then you do. We don't need to hear anymore statements...until the Super Bowl is over. Then my ears will perk up.

College Football

Remember Gunner Kiel? That name should be fresh in your memory especially if you follow college football. Might wanna watch this video courtesy of The Daily Reveille. Go to the 1:40 mark...


I don't think I need to add to this, but I believe you suspect that Kiel was the "quarterback from Indiana".

Only "The Hat"...

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome and encouraged! My only request is that no spam be posted. Spam will be deleted. Thank you for checking out The Sports Commentator. Your information will not be used for any commercial purposes.