Monday, February 07, 2011

So, Can We Get on with Baseball?

OK. The Super Bowl is over bringing an end to the football season. I know that basketball and hockey are still ongoing, but can we get to baseball?

Good. I never thought an offseason would feel like it lasted so long. Of course, being a Reds fan, it seemed way longer only because of how the season ended. Oh, and don't forget. Pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report on the 16th. I have a feeling some players are already at the appropriate location for their team.

I realize that the NFL is the most popular sport in the US. I can't and won't deny that. Facts point that out. But when baseball season starts to gear up, it can mean only one thing...spring is near. A time for a change.

That means good-bye to the snow and cold. Hello to green grass, bats cracking and mitts popping. No more snow plows or salt on the roads. A welcome to stirrup socks (if you can see them anymore), sunflower seeds and bubble gum. Yes, baseball season, just like spring, is a sign of change. Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack for cryin' out loud!

Over the next few weeks, I'll be checking in on each of the 30 teams to fill you in on exactly was has transpired since the San Francisco Giants captured the World Series. And I will have my fearless (and sometimes wrong) predictions.

Later this week, I'll be starting with the American League East.

1 comment:

  1. You are just getting me more fired up about the start of the season.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome and encouraged! My only request is that no spam be posted. Spam will be deleted. Thank you for checking out The Sports Commentator. Your information will not be used for any commercial purposes.